Friday, December 20, 2013

My Request

I have had something on my heart these last few days and have been struggling with just the right way to approach it...I'm not sure that this is exactly the best, but here goes:

I've recently made several announcements about the sponsorship funds that were so very generously donated to allow us to reach out to grieving families, particularly during this holiday season.  I even briefly lifted our "one per family" guideline to allow for two keepsakes, in hopes that each parent would be able to choose something.

Unfortunately, I had no idea that those announcements would cause me so much heartache that I have considered closing down our project altogether.  I have been positively astounded by the number of people who have tried to take advantage of our donor's generosity by submitting requests under multiple names/addresses or by disregarding the limits altogether to receive more than what the guidelines would allow. (Those of you who have worked with me know that I often send out extra items anyway for those who simply explain their circumstances or are kind enough to ask.)  I know that everyone grieves differently and could have easily overlooked one or two incidents, but this goes beyond that.  :(

Please know that the limits exist only to ensure that the funding goes to help as many families as possible - it isn't so that I get to "keep something for myself."  I am meticulous about tracking donor money so that I know where every cent is going. 

I have absolutely loved the opportunities that I have been given in the last nine months to connect with grieving families from around the world and I so badly want to continue doing so.  In return, all I ask is that everyone is respectful of the process we have in place to allow us to keep doing just that. 

<3 br="" katie="">

No comments:

Post a Comment